Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Blossoming Ideas

I've been thinking a lot about flowers for my wedding lately. I love the idea of fresh flowers. I love flowers. I would love to have flowers at my wedding. Big problem: they're crazy expensive. Especially for one day of use.

Another problem with fresh flowers is that not very many come in blue, which just happens to be my main wedding color. I know there are hydrangeas but they're really not my style. I know flowers can be dyed but I just don't think they look as pretty when it's not natural. Plus I want to DIY my flowers and if I use fresh, I would have to do them last minute before the wedding and I'm trying to avoid projects like that (other than my cake of course.)


So my next option is artificial flowers. While these are cheaper than fresh flowers and stay "fresh" for much longer, again there aren't very many blue options. Plus a lot of times fake flowers look FAKE.


I move on to another option. Flowers made of paper or fabric or even gumpaste (a medium used to make edible flowers on cakes). I've found a ton of tutorials on how to make paper flowers that I absolutely love. I can make the flowers any color I want and any size I want.

Coffee Filter Roses

Tissue Paper Carnations

Security Envelope Roses

My last option would be to forgo flowers all together and carry something else down the aisle - a handkerchief, a purse, I don't know. This option is not for me.

As of right now, I'm thinking definitely paper flowers with maybe some fabric and gumpaste mixed in, but only if I can marry all the mediums together in a cohesive way. The biggest bonus of this option is that I can start on the flowers right now if I want to.

Are any of you using flower alternatives for your wedding? How'd they come out? I'll be sure to post as soon as I've finished my flower projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment